Despite having one of the wettest summers on record last year and quite a wet spring we have already been warned to use water carefully, meaning many people’s gardens may have to go without water.
Thankfully though you can keep your plants and fruit and veg well watered using a water butt.
Not only are water butts a great way to keep your garden well-watered during a water shortage, but they’re also a great way to same some money while helping the environment. Water bills have increased dramatically over the past couple of years, so it just makes sense to utilise rain water to help take care of your garden. Continue reading
You may have noticed our website is looking a little different. Last week we carried out some changes to improve your experience on the site, to make it easier for you to use, and find the products you’re looking for.
The navigation throughout the website has been updated to include a ‘Home’ button so you can return to the homepage from any page within the site.
We’ve renamed some of our pages, updated the sliders and some of the graphics on the homepage to make it clear what products you’ll find in each section.
We have also added new helpful landing pages which fit better with our brands current offering, and provide you with useful information on; Practical Recycling, Sustainable Living, Garden & Wildlife, Garden Gifts and our Council Food Waste Schemes.
Click here to continue reading about our new easier to use website.
As a thank you to all of our lovely customers, and to help you enjoy your time in the garden, we’re running Eggcellent Easter Offers beginning on the 18th March and ending on the 6th May!
Our fantastic offers make food waste recycling even more cost-effective, can help you to surprise a loved one with a gift and will encourage you and your family to spend some time in the garden over the Easter Bank Holiday or during the school holidays.
Extra 20% on Caddy Liners
Our 100% compostable and biodegradable caddy liners are still the strongest, highest quality and best value for money liners available. Quite simply, if you can buy them for less, they won’t be as strong as our liners.
With that in mind, we’re encouraging you to continue or begin food waste recycling by offering you 20% extra liners on all orders of 7 and 10 litre biodegradable and compostable caddy and bin liners.
Free Captain Meerkat
There’s no denying how popular meerkats have become over the past couple of years. We all know someone who loves the furry little creatures and has a house or garden full of meerkats in different outfits.
As part of our cracking Easter Offers, when you spend more than £20 on Ornamental Animal Gifts you will receive a free Captain Meerkat, which we’re sure will put a smile on the face of any meerkat lover, or maybe you could start your own collection! Click here to see the rest of our offers.
Part of our proposition has always been to sell products which are sustainable and / or help people to recycle and live a more sustainable lifestyle.
We are currently involved in over 60 council food waste schemes up and down the country, supplying the liners and food waste bins to local retailers and selling them online to make it easier for people to take part in the scheme.
Recycling and sustainable living has been well adopted in the UK over the past few years and it’s hoped that the UK will become a zero-waste economy in the near future.
The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) found that approximately 43% of all household waste was recycled in 2011/12, up by more than 30% in comparison to 2000/01 when only 11% of all household waste was recycled.
Tips to help you live a more sustainable lifestyle
Not only is recycling and living a sustainable lifestyle a good thing to do for the environment, but it can also help you to save money, which is always nice. Continue reading
Mother’s Day is approaching (for those of you who’ve forgotten it’s Sunday 10th March) and time left to shop and order your gifts is fast running out.
If you’ve ever asked your Mum what she wants, you’ll know by now her response is usually ‘I don’t want anything’, so trying to choose a gift for her can often be difficult.
If you’re a Mum yourself, you could always point someone in the right direction to help them choose something you will cherish. Just tell them to visit gardeningdelights.com, read this blog post, browse through the great practical and personal gifts and have them delivered all in good time.
Here at Gardening Delights we’ve put together a selection of practical Mother’s Day gifts your Mum will love and can use throughout the year.
With over 11 million liners sold, we’d like to say well done to all of you who are using compostable and biodegradable liners whether you’re taking part in a council food waste scheme or home composting.
Our customers constantly tell us that our biodegradable and compostable liners are the strongest and best quality liners they have used. Quite simply, we offer the best value and best quality for money; no one can produce liners for less and maintain the same high level of quality.
Council Food Waste Schemes
Over the past six years we’ve taken part in and supplied liners and caddies for over 70 council food waste schemes up and down the country.
In most food waste schemes we have found that our 7 and 10 litre liners are used for indoor food waste bins and caddies, and our 20 or 25 litre liners and caddies are used for collection by refuse crews.
If your council are running a food waste scheme, be sure to visit our website to get your compostable liners and food waste caddies. Continue reading
With less than 20 sleeps until Christmas, we know you’re all gearing up for the big event and doing a bit of last minute shopping.
Gifts and Stocking Fillers
We understand how difficult it can be to find the right gift, so we’ve put together a list of gifts to help you find the perfect gift for your favourite gardener, or just an unusual gift for a loved one which won’t break the bank.
- Scrooge Meerkat – A Christmas themed meerkat! Great for any meerkat lover, would look great out in the garden or indoors on the fireplace.
- Gift In a Tin: Kids Gardening Set – The perfect way to encourage the kids or grandkids to help you out in the garden next year.
- Gardeners Rescue Kit – Gift Set of Soap, Bath Oil & Balms – Help your favourite gardener relax and keep their skin nice and soft after a long day out In their garden.
- Frosted Fish Tumblers – Recycled clear and green glass wine bottles frosted with a pretty swimming fish motif. Perhaps the ultimate practical and eco-friendly gift?
- Apple Ceramic Bird Feeder – Encourage birds into someone’s garden with this pretty and unusual green apple shaped ceramic bird feeder.
- Large Guinea Pig – We’ve got a range of large resin Guinea Pigs in three different colours. Very cute and will be quite happy sat on a windowsill, a shelf or guarding your room.
Thought about your New Years resolution yet?
If you’re stuck for a News Years resolution, why not aim to be more eco-friendly and use more sustainable products? Continue reading
Over the weekend some of us will have woken up to see our cars white over with frost, a real sign that winter is truly on it’s way.
For many, that means preparing for Christmas, but don’t forget about the wild birds which visit your garden, who will suffer through the cold winter months.
Winter is a difficult time for wildlife, who may struggle to find food or water in freezing conditions, which is why it’s so important to give them a helping hand.
A news article from the BBC lists a garden bird survival plan from the RSPB, which looks at ways you can help wild birds through the winter.
“Garden Bird Survival Plan:
- Put out feed regularly, especially in severe weather. Set up a bird table and use high-calorie seed mixes. This can also be used to put out kitchen scraps such as animal fats, grated cheese and porridge oats.
- Put out hanging feeders for black sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, sunflower-rich mixes or unsalted peanuts.
- Ensure a supply of fresh water every day. If it is very cold use tepid water, but do not use any antifreeze products.
- Put out fruit such as apples and pears for blackbirds, song thrushes and other members of the thrush family.
- Food bars or fat hung up or rubbed into the bark of trees is great for treecreepers, goldcrests and many other species.
- Put up nest boxes to provide roost sites for smaller birds. They will then be used for breeding later in the year.”
With less than 50 days until Christmas, it’s definitely time to start thinking about Christmas gifts. Luckily for you, we’ve got some great seasonal offers to help you choose a great gift for your nearest and dearest, or to treat yourself to something nice!
Whether you’re looking for a garden related gift or something unusual, take a look at our gift range, where you’ll find everything from bird houses and bird feeders, to practical gardening gifts and the unusual.
To give you some inspiration, we’ve put together a list of our favourite Christmas gifts, which we think will put a smile on someone’s face:
Read on to see the rest of our Christmas Offers!
We came across a really useful blog post on the BBC about what you should be doing in your garden, and when, during the autumn to protect it and prepare it for spring.
- Bring in tender plants under cover before the first frosts.
- Plant or move evergreens and conifers, while the soil is still warm.
- Plant spring bedding, such as wallflowers and polyanthus.
- Plant spring bulbs
- Tidy perennials, removing dead stems but leaving seed-heads for birds to eat.
- Plant deciduous trees, shrubs and climbers.
- Lay new lawns, so long as soil is not too wet.
- Batten down the hatches, ensuring nothing can blow about and cause damage on windy nights.
- Plant shrubs, roses and hedging plants sold with bare roots.
- Clear up fallen leaves and compost them.
- Plant tulips and hyacinths.
- Move deciduous trees and shrubs once they have lost their leaves.
- Take hardwood cuttings from shrubs and roses. “
Source: Key Jobs for Autumn – BBC
Following these points should ensure that your garden escapes unscathed from the winter and means it will look beautiful during the spring.